More than 24 hours after a Fort Worth fire truck crashed while responding to a house fire, two of the four injured firefighters are still in the hospital, where one underwent surgery Wednesday, according to an update from the fire department posted on social media.

The other hospitalized firefighter, who had the worst injuries, is still in critical condition in the ICU but is now officially breathing on his own and showing other signs of improvement, according to the fire department.

The department identified the firefighters Wednesday as 46-year-old Capt. Daniel Terrell, an 18-year veteran currently under intensive care with life-threatening injuries; 42-year-old Firefighter Clint Robinson, an 18-year veteran who had to undergo surgery Wednesday afternoon due to injuries from the crash; 42-year-old Engineer Matthew Schneider, a 22-year veteran who was released from the hospital Tuesday; and 33-year-old Devin Kuhn, a fire department veteran of almost five years who was released from the hospital Tuesday.

“As the conditions of our firefighters change, we will keep everyone updated,” the fire department’s post said. “We are grateful to be part of a community that cares deeply about their firefighters. Your compassion and support have not gone unnoticed. We feel the prayers and we appreciate every one of them.”

The accident took place shortly after 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Wilbarger Street and Village Creek Road, in southeast Fort Worth, while the crew on Engine 3 was driving to the scene of a house fire, fire department officials said in a news release.

The fire, in the 4500 block of Pecos Street, displaced several residents and left one woman with breathing problems. The owner of the home, Nena Pounds, told the Star-Telegram on Tuesday that she had an asthma attack and had to get assistance with breathing after going back into the house to rescue her daughter’s puppy. The Red Cross was assisting Pounds and her family with temporary housing after the fire.